KY S 1, “an ACT relating to school safety and declaring an emergency,” was enacted this past March and provides a better understanding of school safety and security standards throughout Kentucky’s K-12 educational institutions.
It includes the following:
- Definitions of school safety & school security
- Development & implementation of a school safety coordinator training program
- Specification of membership on the Center for School Safety Board of Directors
- Requirement that the Board appoint an Executive Director
- Duties of Executive Director are as follows:
- Establishing all positions of the Center
- Approving a school security risk assessment tool
- Reviewing the organizational structure of the Center
- Making recommendations
- Requirement that State School Security Marshal be appointed and to report to Department of Criminal Justice Training
- Reporting annually to the Center for School Safety
- Requirement of appointing School Safety Coordinator & his/her responsibilities
- Suicide Prevention Awareness information to be available and provided to students
- Staff to get trained on signs & symptoms of mental illness
- Providing staff with active shooter training
- By July 1, 2021, each school district is to hire a mental health professional for every 1,500 students
- Encourage local law enforcement to collaborate with schools on safety and mental health approaches within the school
To learn more about the Bill, click here. Not sure how these requirements will affect your school district? Contact us today!
Article Sourced from the National Conference of State Legislatures.