When winter comes around, workers are faced with potential hazards that result in becoming seriously injured or killed during snow (or ice) removal from buildings and homes. According to OSHA, in the past 10 years, they have investigated “16 serious injuries or fatalities.” These 16 incidents could have all been prevented.
It is crucial for employers to plan ahead of the wintery season and to use proper measures to keep employees safe.
OSHA’s advice for planning ahead:
- Use methods that avoid employees from having to get on roof (if possible)
- “Use fall protection equipment”
- “Avoid making snow piles on the roof”
- Make sure to train employees properly on techniques and safety precautions
- Ensure employees are properly dressed for the weather
Click here to read all of the workplace safety tips from OSHA’s “Roof Snow Hazard Alert”.